How to Manage Tooth Pain | Ardas Family Dental
Toothaches are often one of the first signs that something is wrong with your dental health. If you experience pain in your teeth, it’s important to take some time to evaluate your habits and know when it’s time for intervention from the dentist.
Let’s take a look at some of the common causes of toothaches and ways to manage the pain:
A toothache commonly consists of throbbing pain in and around your tooth, and is commonly accompanied by other symptoms such as tooth sensitivity, extra pain when biting, jaw pain, and swelling or tenderness of the gums. There are several common causes of this throbbing pain:
- Tooth decay that happens when excess bacteria or plaque starts eating through a tooth
- A fracture or crack in the tooth, which may be caused by decay or trauma
- A damaged filling or loose crown
- Grinding or clenching your teeth, which commonly occurs during sleep and may require wearing a mouth guard during sleep until the stressors causing it are resolved
- Illnesses including sinus infection or heart disease
- Food or debris stuck between teeth
Some tooth pain will go away with thorough cleaning, adjusting habits, recovering from illness or just some time. If you have a persistent toothache that isn’t caused by stuck debris, illness or bad biting habits, it’s important to make a dental appointment ASAP!
Luckily there are lots of ways to soothe a toothache while you’re waiting to see the dentist.
Start with keeping your mouth clean by rinsing with warm salt water and removing any debris or plaque between teeth with a good flossing. You can then apply some OTC benzocaine-based anesthetic on the affected teeth for some short-term pain relief.
If your toothache is affecting your jaw or was caused by facial trauma, it can also help to apply ice or a cold compress to the outside of your cheek or jaw. You may also have some relief by taking some OTC painkillers such as acetaminophen or aspirin.
Have you been experiencing persistent tooth pain? Visit Ardas Family Dental for quality dental care options!